Sunday, July 4, 2010

A ride and a Recipe

The sun had hidden behind dark clouds and it was necessary to put on the ole cycling jacket by the time my cycling friend Charity and I got together for a training ride. The plan was to travel the river valley trails from near the High Level to Hermitage and back. It was time to step up Charity`s training and I thought she was ready for lots of hills. Anyone can ride the flats but it`s the hills that build muscle and cardio fitness.



I was surprised at her development compared to just a couple of weeks ago when a crew of ten of us went for a ride and she looked like she was hurtin`. This time with most of the hills she powered up and left me in the figurative dust - especially the switchback at 75th. Street that brings you up to the surface. The one hill at the east end of Rundle Park I thought for sure would do her in but when I caught up to her she said her secret was to look down at her feet and keep telling herself to push down and pull up, over and over.



Our timing was perfect at the off-leash area in Hermitage as there weren`t too many dogs to worry about and Charity really had to gear down quickly to make the last hill up to where there is a sandbox to sit on and fencing to lean the bikes against. I pulled out two packages of my favourite snack to eat when I`m on the trails - what I call ``Cyclist`s Horse Chow`` based on a recipe created by Scott Nearing. Charity liked it and thought I should share the recipe.It is simple and wholesome.



CYCLIST`S HORSE CHOW``



1 cup of rolled oats

3 tblspn. veg. oil or olive oil

2tspn. lemon juice

1/3 cup of raisins

pinch of salt to taste



Mix all the ingredients together

Place in a small baggie with a small spoon

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad, try adding a handfull of nuts to your mix,they are packed with many trace vitamins and minerals, will provide a more substantial protein and keep you satiated for the ride home...I know how far it is!

    ReplyDelete