Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Flowers That Bloom In The Spring Tra - La

Being on the river valley trails for the first time in forever it seems, I found I was a bit cranky with all the citizens enjoying the sunshine.  The situation made me think of those people who live in resort towns and have the whole place to themselves until spring and summer arrive and their town in inundated with the great unwashed.  Their situation is a little different from how I found myself this afternoon - in that they accept the thronging hordes because this is how their earn their livelihood.  People buying ice cream cones and waffles and such.  Whereas for me, having ridden throughout the fall, winter and now spring and having the traveling routes pretty much all to myself, I need to adjust my thinking.  That woman with her five foot wide stroller, that group of six macho dude joggers, the family with the unleashed dogs; they all have a right to the trails don't they?  Sure they do.  On the other hand, the stroller-mother doesn't need to glower at me as I pass.  The jogger guy should have moved to the right so I could pass on the left.  My brakes allow me to stop on a dime so I didn't cut the dog in half.  What's the problem?  I knew I should have gotten up at my usual time of 5:30 and left on a ride.

Now that rant is off my chest I can mention some of the great stuff.
Like this cool treehouse
 

Or this brand new pedometer I found near a curb


Or the fact that I hit 138 bpm climbing a long steep hill


Or the firemen washing off their rescue boat ramp
In the odd chance that you're wondering - the title of this blog is from a Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera - The Mikado and is taken from a song that is poking fun at the Victorian judicial system.  The judge in the song is telling a lawyer that "The Flowers That Bloom In The Spring"  have nothing to do with the case.  Except for the word spring, this blog title has nothing to do with this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment