Sunday, September 25, 2011

Judgement Day


You can just see the top of Perry's tent
Along with my cycling partners Roy and Perry, we had enjoyed a lovely day in the town of Midway, B.C. Camping on the pleasant banks of the Kettle River reminded me not to judge a book by its cover. I don't know how many times I've passed Midway on the Crowsnest Highway and never once had the urge to pull over and check out the dusty gas station or feel any desire to look through the windows of the vacant store. But just beyond the highway towards the American border is a lovely park with an historic hotel across the way and a fully stocked hardware store across the street that reminded me of general stores of my youth with their oiled wooden floors and dry goods hanging from the ceiling.

In its day, Midway was quite the place and as the meeting point of two competing railways was the site of the"Battle of Midway" - long before the sea battle of the Second World War. 

While Roy and I dawdled at the highway gas station, Perry had gone ahead and arranged the best campsite I've ever pitched my tent at in all my years of riding the KVR.  Ample flat grass for the 3 tents, a firepit and probably the best feature: a wooden gazebo with bench seating all around its inner circumference, a solid roof and counter space for cooking and eating.  Top all this off with a clear flowing river just down a short path and you have nirvana (not the band).
The very practical gazebo

They say don't judge a book by its cover and if camping at this lovely municipal park taught me anything it is to explore possiblilties that in my usual haste to pass judgement, hurts only myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment